Monday, July 15, 2013

Najimu

I recently learned the Japanese word Najimu, which translates into English as to be attached to or familiar with. When I heard this word I couldn't help but think of my relationship with my Aurora class, who I have become incredibly attached to.


Tonight as I talked with a friend from back home we caught up on the past month's worth of events and news. Finally he asked me, "So, hows the job?"

"It's good," I replied. "Actually, it's really good. Everyday I go home and am happy about the way I spent my day."

When we finished talking, I thought about this, and I realized how true it is.


I expected to like my job, but I had never anticipated to love it as much as I do. I've never been so attached to a group of kids before, or cared so much for how I am impacting them. I love being in their presence, and they add so much happiness to my life that I haven't found in other jobs. During lunch one day Miss. Yuki and I were talking about why we enjoy working at The World, and especially with our group of kids. The greatest aspect of teaching preschool is that it makes you feel alive. To be with such young excited kids everyday reminds you of what its like to live. To find joy in the tiny details. To be curious about things you've never seen, heard, tasted or felt. Everyday of work is different and that's what makes it exciting. The kids keep us on our toes and keep smiles on our faces. I have never laughed as much in my life as I have these past three months in my classroom. The kids in Aurora have added this huge glowing presence to my life, and I can't imagine living without them.




Not a day goes by that they don't make me smile and laugh, and I know how lucky I am to have a job where I arrive in a good mood, and leave in a good mood. I enjoy coming to work in the mornings, and I like planning projects and activities for them while I'm at home. Often when the school day is over I will hang out in my classroom for ten to fifteen minutes and sit on the ground near their lockers and talk to a few kids who are taking a really long time to pack up. I will either play with them or ask them simple questions, and enjoy the moment where I am able to interact with a student one on one, without the hectic distractions of the day. In these moments I really am able to connect with my students and it's so rewarding for me to see how comfortable they have become in my presence. After sharing more personal moments with the students, I often leave wishing there was a way I could spend more time one on one with all of them. It's an opportunity for me to really give them the attention they need, as well as see what they have learned from me, and what they are comfortable talking about with me.




There is something really special and unique about my class at Aurora and I can't believe that I have been so fortunate to be paired with them. I find myself telling friends and family back home all about my stories from the week and describing all of my students to them. This job is such a big part of my experience in Japan that I want to share all the details of it with the people I love who aren't here with me. No matter how many stories or pictures I share with people back home, they will never understand how fun and special it is to be around these kids everyday.


It amazes me how quickly relationships, bonds and trust can be formed between people who don't speak the same language. While I am seeing improvements in their ability to communicate in English, and I have picked up some Japanese, we still don't have the ability to communicate freely in one language. But it's almost as if it doesn't matter. Through interacting with them all day and watching them behave and interact with one another I've started to get a pretty good idea of all their amazing and unique personalities and I am impressed with what a cool class I have.



They are sweet kids who are really caring towards one another, always holding each others hands or comforting their friends when upset. Often, when I am leading morning routine I will scan the group of kids before me and notice them with their arms around each other or their fingers interlocked. When we play musical chairs and a kid is eliminated, they will pat him or her on the back and tell them "it's ok," to make them feel better about not winning. Last week when my bike was stolen I told the class and told them how sad I was, and one of my students told me he was going to buy a new bike for me. It almost made my heart melt. Everyday they tell Miss. Yuki and I that they love us, they hug us and they come to us to be picked up. They are the most loving group of little kids.




I adore my Aurora class, and I know that my partner feels the same way. We have been given a class that is creative, adventurous, observant and intelligent.

They are my little sunshines.


No comments:

Post a Comment