Sunday, November 10, 2013

Fall Harvest

I moved to Matsumoto during the last week of April, and began working at The World International Preschool. The first weekend I spent in the city, I helped get the school's garden started with my boss and one of my co-workers. Six months have passed since that weekend, and finally we were ready to harvest some of the vegetables we planted. While we have been snacking on little cherry tomatoes the past few months, it was time for the sweet potatoes to be dug up. In small groups, I took the kids in Aurora out to the garden and showed them how to pull the gigantic potatoes from the earth. Due to the massive size, the kids had to work together to rip the roots and pick the vegetables up. The kids loved getting their hands dirty, and were so excited to be in the garden. When all the sweet potatoes were out of the ground, we sent each child home with one, and then I made sweet mashed potatoes for the Halloween party with the left overs. 















No comments:

Post a Comment